Sunday, January 3, 2010

Plans for Creating My Artist Book


I'm an art student, so naturally i love art, but i also love explosions. Before this last year i never thought that those two very separate areas of my life could harmonize so well together. That was before i learned of Cai Guo-Qiang. Qiang is a Chinese artist that uses the medium of gunpowder and explosives to create amazing images on sheets of wood that singlehandily capture, in one point in time, the beauty, raw power and energy of an explosion.

Naturally i was enthralled by these immensely vivid drawings. I had been so impacted by his thoughts and his talent that i feel so pressed as to create my class artist book on Cai Guo-Qiang. He first came across the medium of gunpowder as a means of harvesting and accessing spontaneity. As well as a social confrontation to China's controlled suppressive traditional artistic style.

Qinag does an amazing job of capturing the single point in time at its most spontaneous. And portraying that moment with such elegance and grace, that one may almost the the action itself in motion across the page. I believe that aspect of Qiang's work is what hooked me. The fact that i can trace the path of the fire burnt wood sheet with my eyes, and see the sense of motion frozen in time is truly remarkable.
(images taken from dcdomain.org/blogger/dcdomain/2007/10/across-board-well-not-totally-less-is.php
and
www.pbs.org/art21/slideshow/popup.php?slide=341)

No comments:

Post a Comment